Friday 11 November 2016

Let's All Just Get Along/Get Drunk...

I try not to be political on here.  I save all my feminist outrage, party political allegiance and liberal bias for my Twitter feed*.  I’m not sure why, but at some point I made the distinction to save my Important Opinions for Twitter and keep everything else joky and light.
And yet in these politically horrific times it is so very hard to stick to that plan.   I’m still shocked about Brexit, so the US election result hasn’t got a hope in hell of registering.  But still, let’s avoid that convo - let’s keep it ‘nice’.  Let’s all just get along! 
In an attempt to cheer myself up, I’ve compiled a selection of ‘lovely things’ that can provide as a distraction from the real world, before dusting myself off and fighting for my tiny bit of equality-filled space once again.


Netflix
I binge watched The Crown in two days, last week.  (Could easily be done in one.)  When everything is feeling crappy outside, there is nothing better than a cup of tea, a blanket, and a glossy new series to devour. 


Eurovision
Eurovision isn’t just for May - it’s for life.  When your insides hit peak despair, whacking on your Eurovision playlist as you go about your business is as uplifting as it gets.   Try Chanee and N'Evergreen, Conchita, or for 90s retro-enthusiasm, Carola  to raise you to a functioning level once more.

         
  My playlist, for the more Eurovision-obsessed amongst you.


Nephews and Nieces
I have a small niece and a smaller nephew, and yesterday I spent a few hours with them.  Trump is easily forgotten when you are instructed to look at new stripy tights and do a French plait on a Girl’s World.

Food
As always, I'm happy to provide recipe inspiration, and this moussaka  was fit.  If pushed for time, it’s a bit faffy, but when you have a couple of hours to chill in the kitchen, this is a great way to pass the minutes.  Red wine is a good accompaniment, and also helps with everything else.

Booze in general
Apologies to non-drinkers, but I do love a good alcohol-fuelled evening.  My tastes change with the seasons, but I will always love icy cold champagne, and a warming glass of red.  On top of that, strong Hendricks gin with the obligatory cucumber garnish is good for the inner-central heating, and I’m never against a frothy pint of lager straight from the pump.  This Winter however, I am most excited to try Baileys Pumpkin Spice.  It sounds DELISH!  I can think of no better way to end 2016 than to see off a bottle or two of that, and wait for the New Year to kick in. 

Chin chin, folks.  Down the hatch, and all that jazz.

*If you want to see copious retweeted Guardian articles, you can find me at @BondieLa on Twitter.  


No comments:

Post a Comment